Records from as early as 1844 show that Jerusalem had a clear Jewish majority.
Until the 1850's the entirety of Jerusalem was situated within the walls of the Old City (today part of East Jerusalem). That was Jerusalem as it had been for thousands of years, within the wall, confined to an area of approximately one square mile. Until then the land around Jerusalem was barren.
In 1855 "Sir Moshe Montefiore" purchased land opposite Zion Gate, from "Ahmad Agha Fadhelaldin Agha Al-Asali Duzdar" the 'Ottoman Governor of Jerusalem,' for the purpose of building the first ever residential neighborhood outside of the ancient walls of Jerusalem. By 1860 this first Jewish neighborhood was complete including a windmill for grinding grains.
Ottoman and British records from as early as the first half of the 19th century, provide unequivocal confirmation that the Jews comprised the majority of Jerusalem's inhabitants, both within and outside the walls, while, in the 1948 War of Independence Jordan ethnically cleansed the Old City by murdering and expelling the majority population - the ancient community of the Jews. This expulsion lasted only 19 years until the 1967 Six Day War when Israel retook the Old City, reuniting it with the rest of Jerusalem.
Photo via @
Whose Jerusalem? 2 YouTube(2 min)
Whose Jerusalem? 1 YouTube(1.5 min)
Who are the Palestinians? An Arab Invention